Welcome to FAU’s Libraries
and the 2018-2019 Academic Year!
Bienvenidos a las Bibliotecas de FAU. Bienvenue aux bibliothèques de la FAU. Byenvini nan Bibliyotèk FAU yo.
Welcome to the new academic year in the FAU Libraries. For those of you who are new to FAU, we invite you to discover our spaces, our collections, and the services offered by our welcoming, professional faculty and staff at three different locations: Boca Raton, Jupiter, and Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute. For students in Davie and Fort Lauderdale, our partnerships with Broward County and Broward College provide you direct access to library spaces and materials, in addition to being able to use all of the collections and services available to all FAU students and faculty at the FAU-run branch libraries.
For those of you who are returning, you will see that we have been busy while you were away for the summer.
Based on feedback from over 1100 students who participated in a spring 2018 library satisfaction survey, we have made or are in the process of making numerous enhancements to our library spaces and services.
- We are in the process of renovating the fourth floor study area in Wimberly to provide a brighter, more comfortable quiet study space with improved access to power
- We converted four staff offices in Wimberly to group study rooms, with a fifth one in the works
- We are converting a former staff office space in Wimberly into a private study space for students with specialized accessibility needs
- We purchased more white boards to increase access to this popular resource
- We updated all the computers in the Alumni Alcove of the Wimberly Library
- We have increased our collection of course materials on Reserve and have created a new tool for students to locate print and electronic course materials for their classes
- We are removing the old circulation desk in Wimberly and will be creating a comfortable reading nook just inside the front entrance where students can relax and enjoy books on a wide variety of subjects
- We will be launching a student advisory committee to help us review options for additional action items
- We are partnering with Student Government to explore extended hours
Led by Director Ethan Allen, the faculty and staff of the MacArthur Library in Jupiter are devoted to providing exceptional service to Jupiter faculty and students.
Director of the HBOI Library, Pamela Alderman, applies innovative thinking to provide outstanding service to the researchers and students who have their home base at Harbor Branch.
The FAU Libraries are here to serve all the students and faculty of FAU, regardless of their field of study, their physical location, or their backgrounds. We are on the move, constantly evaluating our spaces, our collections, and our services. There will be many new exhibits, programs, and events at the Libraries this year. We encourage everyone to come check things out, provide us feedback, and use our services, either physically or virtually, to ensure your academic success as a member of the FAU community.
Carol Hixson, M.S.
Dean of University Libraries
Florida Atlantic University