About Scholarly Communication services
The communication of scholarly and creative works is becoming increasing complex. This affects everyone in higher education because scholarly publications are used to inform new knowledge, while creative works inspire new ones. Here are a few examples of its impact:
- Publishing Scholarly or Creative Works: anyone who wants to publish has to make many considerations such as selecting a publisher; bibliometrics or impact factor; open access mandates; or avoiding deceptive or predatory publishers to list a few.
- Reusing or Building Upon the Work of Others: to avoid infringement, students and scholars alike should understand principles of copyright, fair use, Creative Commons licenses, or public domain works, and be able to apply these.
- Sharing Work: some people may want to share their data, find a repository, or understand if they can share their manuscripts. Others have heard of open access or heard mixed things about preprints, but want to learn more.
Scholarly Communication Services (SCS) is offered for FAU students and faculty so they can successfully navigate these parts of the ever-changing world of information; see the topics that are covered.
rEQUEST A CONSULTATION OR PRESENTATION
Would you like a presentation for your class or meeting on any of these topics? If so, SCS can provide one-on-one consultations, presentations for groups, and sessions for courses. FAU librarians will work with you to identify your needs and objectives to inform you, your colleagues, and your students on these matters.
Sessions can be delivered synchronously (face-to-face or online via Zoom, WebEx, or Microsoft Teams) or asynchonously (video recording). We can also work with or co-present with other units in the FAU Libraries.
LIBGUIDES & LEARNING OBJECTS
SCS has created materials and learning objects that can be used for teaching, learning, or training, and can be freely used with attribution and for noncommercial purposes (CC-BY-NC).
- Copyright presentation slides and recordings
- Open Access (OA) presentation slides and recordings
- Scholarly publishing presentation slides, recordings, and handouts
Embed them in your Canvas page, or assign them! Contact SCS for more information or to request additional materials.