The Library expects guests to abide by the FAU Code of Student Conduct. The Libraries seeks to provide a safe and secure learning atmosphere conducive to academic pursuits and personal growth. Library guests will respect the rights of others, the integrity of Libraries’ resources, and the scholarly mission of the Libraries.
Library Guests WILL:
- Know and follow the guidelines of the FAU Code of Student Conduct, FAU Acceptable Use of Technology Resources, FAU Libraries Disturbance Policy, FAU Libraries Rollerblading, Skateboarding, and Bicycles in the Libraries.
- Adhere to policies governing the appropriate use of University identification (Owl Card and/or PB State Panther Card).
- Present identification upon request.
- Comply with written or oral requests - Noncompliance with written or verbal requests or orders of authorized University officials or law enforcement officers in performing their duties will result in loss of library privileges.
- Respect other people, their belongings, and their personal space. Students are encouraged to conduct themselves in a manner that exemplifies respect for all people and to adhere to their values without unduly imposing them on others.
- Respond to emergency and security gate alarms and other situations as instructed by staff; leave buildings and limit the use of the library to authorized areas only.
- Maintain an environment free from discrimination, intimidation, and harassment.
- Comply with all library policies.
Library Guests WILL NOT:
- Bully - Systematically and chronically inflicting physical hurt or psychological distress by teasing; social exclusion; threats; intimidation; stalking; physical violence; theft; sexual, religious, or racial harassment; public humiliation or destruction of property.
- Collude - Aiding another individual in any action that violates University regulations, policies, or state or federal law or assisting in the concealment of such action.
- Disrupt – Any action that impairs, interferes with, or obstructs the mission, purposes, order, academic atmosphere, operations, processes, and/or functions of the University.
- Endanger Health, Safety, or Welfare - Endangering the health, safety, or welfare of members or guests of the University.
- Interfere with the Rights of Others - Interference with the rights of others to carry out their activities or duties at or on behalf of the University.
- Indecent or Voyeuristic Behaviors - Lewd, obscene, indecent behavior or Voyeurism.
- Misuse or Duplicate University Keys and Access Cards - Misuse or duplication of any University key or access card to any University premises or services.
- Rollerblade, Skateboard, Scooter, or Bicycle in the Library – Skateboarding, rollerblading, scooters and other similar devices are not permitted on the Library premises. Rollerblading and skateboarding damage our carpet and is unsafe for skaters and "pedestrians." Skateboards, rollerblades, and scooters are allowed in the building but must be stored in a safe and non-obtrusive manner. Bicycles are not permitted inside the library.
- Trespass and Loiter – Unauthorized entry on University property or any portion thereof, violation of Regulation 7.006, Trespass and Loitering, and/or violation of a Trespass Warning issued by the University President or their designated personnel.
- Verbal, Written, or Physical Abuse/Discrimination - Acts of verbal, written (including electronic communications or internet activity) or physical abuse, threats, intimidation, harassment, coercion, or other conduct, the preceding of which threaten the health, safety, or welfare of any person.
Library guests found in violation of the FAU Student Code of Conduct may be asked to present identification to library staff; may be subject to a search of backpacks or bags; may be directed to leave the premises and not return to any library facilities for the day, and may be reported to FAU Police. Additional disciplinary or legal action may be taken per applicable laws and FAU policies.
Federal and State of Florida laws, local regulations, and FAU policies, including the Student Conduct Code and other University policies, also apply within the University Libraries. In addition, the Libraries have written policies that can be found in FAU Libraries Policies and Guidelines.