Affiliated Users Served by the Instruction and Engagement Services Department
- FAU administration, faculty, staff, and students
- Broward College and Palm Beach State College administration, faculty, staff, and students
- State University System administration, faculty, staff, and students
- Friends of the FAU Libraries
- FAU Alumni Association members
- Florida Atlantic University benefactors
Services for FAU Partner Campuses
Library instruction for FAU courses held at partner campuses (John D. MacArthur Campus at Jupiter, Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute, and Broward College at Davie) and for Palm Beach State College courses at Lake Worth are available at those sites by their staff. Requests can be made by directly contacting them.
General Instruction Services
- Library Orientations and/or Tours: 50-minute sessions that provide an overview of library services and resources; also available individually to faculty and staff. Request a library orientation or tour, or faculty can request an individual orientation.
- Subject- or Topic-Specific Library Instruction: 50-minute sessions* with a focus on discipline-specific library information sources or topics. Request a library instruction session.
- Workshops: 50-minute sessions* that discuss topics related to using information for academic purposes such as plagiarism, ethical uses of information, and web evaluation. Request a workshop.
- Research Consultations: one-on-one or small group consultations that focus on a specific research question, search strategies, or using relevant library and information sources. Request a research consultation.
*Workshops and library instruction can be 50 minutes, 1 hour and 20 minutes (80 minutes), or 1 hour and 50 minutes (110 minutes); multiple sessions can also be done by request.
Orientations and Subject-Related Library Instruction
Affiliated users are invited to arrange sessions when students need to use the library, learn about general or subject-specific information sources, or discuss the use of information for academic purposes. All requests should be confirmed within two business days.
In order to create a positive learning experience, affiliated users should communicate with their assigned librarian instructor to plan the session. See examples of creating assignments that utilize the library at Creating Quality Library Research Assignments or by contacting your library liaison.
Requirements for Orientations and Instruction
- A minimum of one to two weeks' notice is required to ensure your preferred date(s) and to facilitate scheduling.
- Affiliates are required to accompany their students because it has proven to enhance the effectiveness of instruction.
- Affiliates are required to provide their syllabus or relevant assignment in their request to assist with lesson planning and to maximize student learning.
Location of Library Instruction Session
The Instruction Studio (LY136) in the S.E. Wimberly Library is available with 35 computers and offers hands-on instruction. Please indicate in your request if your preferred location is there or in your regularly scheduled classroom.
Each semester, FAU Libraries offer scheduled workshops on library information sources (e.g., business resources, government documents) and issues related to using information for academic purposes (e.g., APA citation style, evaluation of information). Workshops on discipline-related databases and information sources are offered as needed or by request. Reservations are recommended. Selected workshops may be offered online and their recordings may be available.
Affiliates are encouraged to offer extra credit to their students for workshop attendance; a certificate of completion can be provided as documentation.
Affiliated patrons can request a research consultation online or at a library service desk. These can be done in-person, by phone, or virtually. Requests may be confirmed by phone or email within two business days.