Special Coronavirus Update
The Library has loaner laptops available to FAU students with a financial need. All requests must be made by filling out this form. All loan periods are until the library resumes normal operations.
We are prioritizing laptop loans to students under financial aid first. If we still have loaners available, we will loan those on a first-come first served basis. All requests, regardless of financial aid should be submitted to the same email address above.
We also have a few wifi hotspots left solely for students who do not have internet at home (that does require financial aid approval due to limited quantity).
Once the library receives confirmation from the Office of Student Financial Aid we will coordinate with the student to pickup the laptops on certain date/times. If student doesn't qualify, we will still review the request and if we have spare laptops, similarly coordinate.
Normal Business Hours Policy
The S. E. Wimberly Library at Boca Raton has PC and Mac laptop computers available for checkout. These laptops are available at the Library Media Center (LY 122) for IN-LIBRARY USE ONLY.
Borrower Use and Liability:
Laptops may only be checked out to current FAU students, faculty and staff with a valid OWL Card. We reserve the right to ask for a 2nd form of photo identification.
All borrowers accept responsibility for the repair or replacement of the laptop (up to $2,000) and/or peripherals (up to $500) in the event of loss, theft, or damage. Prices may vary depending upon current replacement costs.
LAPTOPS SHOULD NEVER BE LEFT UNATTENDED. The library is not responsible if a laptop or laptop peripherals are stolen or damaged during a borrower's loan period. The borrower is responsible for the laptop and all peripherals until it has been returned and is checked in.
- Laptops are available on a first-come, first-served basis and may not be reserved or held for individual or group use.
- Laptops may be borrowed for a 3 hour time period.
- Laptops are to remain in the library for the duration of the loan period and may be renewed once if no one else is waiting.
- Laptops will stop circulating two (2) hours before the library closes and all laptops are due back one (1) hour before the library closes regardless of when they were checked out.
- Laptops must be returned to a Media Center or Circulation employee. DO NOT leave the laptop unattended at the Media Center Desk or Service Desk.
- Laptops can be checked out from and returned to the Service Desk when the Media Center is closed. For library hours, click here: (http://libguides.fau.edu/lib_hours#media).
- Once a laptop is 24 hours overdue, it will be considered lost and the borrower will be charged the maximum $2000.
- The replacement cost of lost, damaged, or stolen laptop peripherals will be no more than $500.
- The cost of the laptop is $2,000 if the entire unit is damaged or not returned. These charges will be subject to the same collection procedures that are used for damaged or lost library materials.
Battery Life and Performance:
- Each PC laptop will include one battery (Mac laptops come with A/C adapters). One fully charged battery has an expected life of about 3-4 hours for average usage; certain operations (i.e., wireless operation or DVD viewing) will shorten battery operating time.
- We are not responsible for lost information due to loss of battery power; it is the sole responsibility of the laptop borrower to make sure that all user created information is properly saved and that the laptop is sufficiently charged.
- When a laptop is in need of recharging, you may exchange it for one that is charged or a charged battery.
- Laptop borrowers may save files to a writable CD, DVD, or a USB memory key; all/any of these must be provided by the laptop borrower. Once saved, files may also be sent via email if the laptop is connected to the internet.
Connecting to the Internet:
- Once the laptop boots up, there will be a document on the desktop with instructions on how to connect to the Internet.
Support and Help:
- Library staff are not responsible for teaching patrons how to use software packages.
- For assistance with library resources such as library catalogs, indexes, electronic journals, or research databases, please go to the Information and Engagement Office located on the first floor of the library.
Portable Data/Video Projector:
- A portable data/video projector is available for checkout with a laptop.
- In addition to the requirements for a laptop loan, a study room key must be presented for checkout of the projector.
- The replacement/damage charges are the same for the projector as for the laptop:
- Once a projector is 24 hours overdue, it will be considered lost and the borrower will be charged the maximum $2000.
- The cost of the projector is $2,000 if the entire unit is damaged or not returned. These charges will be subject to the same collection procedures that are used for damaged or lost library materials.
- The replacement cost of lost, damaged, or stolen projector peripherals will be no more than $500.