General Social Software Policy
Florida Atlantic University (FAU) Libraries adheres to FAU's definition of Social Media: Media outlets designed to be disseminated through social interaction, including without limitation, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Flickr. (http://www.fau.edu/policies/)
Social Media Policies
The Libraries are committed to increasing awareness of and access to the Libraries' unique collections and services. Comments, posts and messages are welcome on the FAU Libraries social media sites, provided that they are courteous, respectful and accepting of personal and cultural differences. When posted, the following will be removed:
- Obscene or racist content
- Personal attacks, insults, or threatening language
- Comments made specifically to incite negative interactions in other users, also known as flaming
- Potentially libelous statements
- Plagiarized material
- Private, personal information published without consent
- Comments totally unrelated to the content of the forum
- Hyperlinks to material that is not directly related to the discussion
- Commercial promotions or spam
All social software sites affiliated with the Libraries will be regularly screened. All postings which contain any of the above will be immediately removed and the poster may be barred from posting any subsequent messages to the Libraries' social software sites.
Content posted on the Libraries' social media sites should also comply with the University's Social Media Policy (Section 9.2, University Policies and Procedures Manual): http://www.fau.edu/policies/.
FAU is a public university serving 30,000 students on five campuses in South Florida. Please note that content shared or posted may be subject to Florida's Public Records Law.
Adapted from the Binghamton University Libraries Social Software Policies.
Questions regarding public service policies should be directed to Access Services.