The Florida Atlantic University (FAU) Libraries have prioritized working collaboratively with the campus community on a Top 100/R1 research initiative that includes a highly library engaged campus and community environment. FAU Libraries house approximately 3.7 million items and provide access to over 80,000 electronic journals, nearly 500 databases, and a growing collection of e-books and streaming videos. The Libraries house many distinctive collections, including artists’ books, sound recordings, print music, rare books and manuscripts, and University Archives. The Digital Library creates online collections from unique materials housed in Special Collections and University Archives and serves as the University's repository for the intellectual output produced on campus.
The FAU Libraries seek a student-focused, high-energy, collaborative, organized, flexible, engaged, positive, innovative, strong written and verbal communicator and self-starter who adapts well to change and can manage multiple projects. We endeavor to be a highly engaged organization that believes in striving for excellence, utilizing assessment and data for decision-making, and maintaining a culture of appreciation/gratitude as we pursue a national ranking of Top 100/R1 academic university. Successful candidates are also expected to demonstrate commitment to professional development, scholarship, service, and lifelong learning.
Reporting directly to the Dean of Libraries, the Assistant Dean for Access, Research, and Learning Services is an integral member of the Libraries’ Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and provides high-level administrative support to the Dean in planning, evaluating, and directing the operations of the Libraries’ Public Services which include: Access Services, Research and Instructional Services, Scholarly Communications Services, and Health Sciences Services. This position develops and implements policies and procedures related to all areas of the Libraries’ operations. In addition to assisting in budget development/oversight and providing overall vision and leadership of Public Services, the Assistant Dean for Access, Research, and Learning Services is responsible for representing the Libraries externally to the FAU community, including members of the public.
Serving as a member of a highly effective Senior Leadership Team, the Assistant Dean for Access, Research, and Learning Services plays a critical role in planning, problem-solving, allocating resources, and making decisions to advance the Libraries’ and University’s initiatives. The successful candidate will work collaboratively and strategically to develop a shared vision and goals aligned with Florida Atlantic University’s priorities. The University is focused on enhancing research and supporting an engaging learning environment for all users, and the Libraries are key partners in this endeavor.
- Provide overall vision, leadership, and management for the FAU Libraries’ Public Services including Access Services, Research and Instructional Services, Scholarly Communications Services, and Health Sciences Collections.
- Participate fully as a member of the Libraries’ SLT to plan, allocate resources, and make decisions that align with the Libraries’ strategic plan and the aspiring goals of the University.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement within Public Services and the Libraries overall in collaboration with the Libraries’ SLT, including recommending new programs and services.
- Provide strategic direction to all library faculty and staff in Public Services using collaborative leadership strategies and transparency to build cohesive teams and accomplish goals.
- Develop and strengthen a proactive and collegial managerial style within Public Services that fosters positive working relationships with mutual respect and teamwork, gratitude, kindness, leadership growth, and professional development.
- Provide training, guidance, mentoring, and conduct library faculty and staff direct report evaluations and reviews of all evaluations within Public Services at all levels.
- Establish strategies for positive and effective communication within all Public Services areas, including routine meetings with direct reports, staff meetings as appropriate, and routine communication through other means.
- Actively engage in problem-solving and positive change management in leading initiatives in all areas of Public Services.
- Develop policies, procedures, appropriate staffing levels, responsibilities, and workflows for Public Services to optimally meet FAU student, faculty, and community needs.
- Collaborate and/or provide guidance to library faculty and staff members at all levels in Public Services on special projects, engagement activities, task forces, and library operations.
- Further the development of the Research and Instructional Services to include advanced research services and instruction strategies, implementing expectations and standards for library faculty and outcome measures:
- Working with PhD and Post Docs.
- Scholarly Communications.
- Collaboration with the Dean of Libraries, Libraries’ Senior Leadership Team, and Development regarding fundraising.
- Collecting, analyzing, and communicating data.
- In collaboration with the Dean of Libraries and Associate Dean of University Libraries, assist with coordinating Public Services’ resources and services regarding the FAU Broward Campuses and the FAU Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute.
- In collaboration with the Dean of Libraries, Libraries’ SLT, and other administrative staff, oversee Minor Project Requests and major Capital Improvement Plan projects regarding space development and new space construction at the Boca Raton Campus library.
- Partner with student and faculty groups on campus to enhance the Libraries’ services and to advance the goals of the University.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships externally, including members of the public, community-based organizations, and vendors.
- Represent the Dean of Libraries in internal or external meetings and may serve as the Senior Officer Present in the absence of the Dean and Associate Dean as needed.
- Prepare comprehensive, accurate, and timely reports, records, and other documents.
- Contribute to developing and strengthening a positive view of the FAU Libraries as an active partner in the University’s educational and research mission and assist with promoting the Libraries’ needs and services.
- Investigate opportunities to carry out, publish, and present original research and projects related to the area of expertise or responsibility.
- Serve on appropriate Libraries, University, regional or national committees.
- Mentor library faculty and staff.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
The FAU Libraries at Florida Atlantic University seek applicants who are committed to supporting the learning needs of students from diverse backgrounds and to thoughtfully engaging communities in higher education. Florida Atlantic University embodies a culture of strategic and collaborative community engagement that mutually benefits the institution and the various internal and external communities it serves.
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent, or doctorate in a related field.
- Minimum of five years as a professional librarian with demonstrated leadership and/or management experience in an academic, public, or special library or related field.
- Ability to meet standards of Associate Librarian including scholarship and service.
- Experience with teaching and learning, and/or research services in an academic, public, or special library or related field environment.
- Demonstrates commitment and success in working collaboratively with internal units and external partners.
- Demonstrates ability to work independently and collaboratively as a team member and team leader where consultation, flexibility, creativity, collaboration, and cooperation are essential.
- Demonstrates strong organization and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to use information technologies for effective communication and work productivity.
- Demonstrates initiative and strong interpersonal skills with a high level of professionalism and exceptional work ethic.
- Ability to analyze and adapt to change in an ever-evolving and rapidly growing institution.
- Demonstrates sustained record of scholarship, research, and/or creative endeavors.
- Demonstrates record of service with leadership roles on committees and projects.
- Second Master’s degree and/or Doctorate.
- 10 years as a professional librarian with demonstrated library leadership and/or management experience in academic/higher education.
- Knowledge of different functional areas of academic library service delivery such as circulation, information services, faculty and student services, collection management, digital strategy, community outreach, and library administration.
- Experience supervising staff and/or librarians responsible for instruction, research, outreach, and/or other public services.
- Experience with academic liaison programs in research libraries.
- Experience with shared library services with partner/joint use institutions.
- Experience with project management.
- Knowledge of the higher education research landscape and the library’s role as an essential component of the research infrastructure.
- Experience working with an integrated library system (ILS) and discovery tool (e.g., Ex Libris Alma/Primo VE).
- Experience working with digital repositories (e.g., Digital Commons).
- Experience with scholarly communications and OER.
- Experience working with systematic and scoping library reviews (e.g., Covidence).
- Experience in management and business practices relevant to public/higher education administration.
- Knowledge of service design and application of user experience principles to library programs and services.
- Ability to plan, direct, and evaluate the work of senior managers and other staff.
- Knowledge of technology trends and principles relating to library operations from an administrative and planning perspective.
- Ability to prioritize and organize activities to effectively use staff and other available resources.
- Ability to write and speak effectively to communicate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to successfully manage, troubleshoot, and resolve conflict using communication, interpersonal, leadership, coaching, and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrates service commitments in leadership roles on committees, contributing to the profession through significant professional service.
- Demonstrates sustained scholarship, research, and creative endeavors, contributing to the profession through peer-reviewed publications in librarianship and presentations at regional or national library-related conferences.
- Demonstrates initiative and strong project management skills in leading significant projects.
- Demonstrates commitment to actively participating in library engagement activities.
- Demonstrates commitment to professional development and lifelong learning.
- Experience working in a multi-campus environment or multi-institutional consortia.
FAU Benefits and Perks
Position is a non-tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Associate University Librarian on a 12-month contract with service and sustained expectation of scholarship, research, and/or creative endeavors (as outlined in the FAU Libraries’ Promotion Guidelines: https://library.fau.edu/staff/faculty/promotion-guidelines) required for promotion. Position salary range: $80,000.00 - $90,000.00 with a stipend of $20,000.00.
FAU Libraries offers (as budget permits):
- Financial support for professional memberships
- Financial support for professional development participation, leadership, and service activities including travel.
- Partial cell phone allowance.
FAU offers significant competitive benefits and perks. In addition to helping drive change and having a positive impact by supporting our students, staff, faculty, and local communities, FAU offers:
- Excellent benefit packages including Medical (PPO/HMO $50 per month single & $180 per month family), Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending plans, Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and much more.
- State retirement options including tax-deferred annuities and Roth 403(b) plans.
- State employees Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program - https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
- Flexible work arrangement plans - https://www.fau.edu/hr/employee_relations/flexwork.php
- Sick Leave Pool Program
- Paid time off (eligible employees) including vacation and sick leave, 9 paid holidays, and paid winter break (at President’s discretion).
- Paid Community Engagement Volunteer Service Day - https://www.fau.edu/hr/files/COMMUNITY_ENGAGEMENT_VOLUNTEER_LEAVE4-2015.pdf
- Employee Educational Scholarship Program (EESP) for eligible Staff/Faculty - Tuition assistance after 6 months of full-time employment. For in-unit faculty, the EESP program may be extended to spouses and dependent children (eligibility rules apply).
For details on FAU's outstanding offers, visit us at https://www.fau.edu/hr/benefits/index.php.
This position is open until filled and may close without prior notice.
Full applications received by December 8, 2023 at 4pm EST will be given first review priority.
This position is subject to funding.
FAU’s Career Page permits the attachment of required/requested documentation.
PLEASE NOTE: A maximum of five (5) documents may be attached to your application. If more than five (5) documents are required for submission, please combine additional documents into one attachment to not exceed the maximum permitted.
The site permits the attachment of required/requested documentation. When completing the online application, please upload the following
- Cover letter addressing the essential functions, minimum qualifications, and knowledge skills, and abilities regarding this position.
- Curriculum vitae
- One-page librarian philosophy statement
- Provide the names and contact information for three references
Top applicants will be invited for a campus visit and will be asked to give a presentation on a topic to be determined.
The selected candidate for this position is required to submit an official transcript sent directly from the institution for the Provost’s credential file prior to the first day of employment. Similarly, for degrees from outside the United States, the evaluation by an organization belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation (NACES), with an indication of the documents the evaluation was prepared from (official transcripts, diplomas, dissertation abstracts) is required for the Provost’s credential file prior to the first day of employment.
Successful completion of a pre-employment background check is required for the candidate selected for this position.
FAU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veterans’ status or any other characteristic protected by law. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3004, TTY/TDD 711.
Established in 1964 as the first public university in southeast Florida, FAU serves 30,000 undergraduate and graduate students on six campuses along Florida's beautiful southeast coast in Broward, Palm Beach, and St. Lucie counties. FAU has ten distinguished colleges that offer more than 180-degree programs, including the Schmidt College of Medicine, and is home to one of the world's preeminent marine science education and research centers, the Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute. FAU is taking its place among the world's great research centers and has been given the designation of a "High Research Activity" university by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. FAU was ranked 27th by U.S. News & World Report among all American universities for campus diversity, with 49% of its student body classified as minority or international students. In 2015, it earned the distinction of being a federally designated Hispanic Serving Institution.